Friday, October 3, 2014

Games That Make You Think of Halloween Day 3: Resident Evil for Playstation

Day 3:  Resident Evil - PS1





Resident Evil (BioHazard) for the PS1 released in March of 1996 and has the distinction of being the first game to ever make me drop my controller.  It was a dark and stormy night, no seriously it was dark and stormy. I had just gotten home from delivering Pizza, all night in the rain, and I couldn't wait to start playing this game my friend had talked up. He wanted me to play it so bad he even lent me his PS1. I started playing shortly after midnight and their is a sequence not to far into the game where you are walking through a corridor with glass walls overlooking the overgrown garden. Everything looks fine, albeit a little creepy but fine, when suddenly you get to the midway point and Zombie Dobermans burst through the glass. It totally got me, and I am not jumpy. That is one of my favorite video game moments. Resident Evil was originally released in a Cardboard Long Box, but would be re released  later as a director's cut in a standard jewel case, it would even get a Greatest Hits version. The same art on the Greatest Hits was used on the Saturn port and you can see it above, it is my favorite cover. Several remakes and ports for this game were also released with more on the way.

Resident Evil is giant in the video game world, it has movies, spin offs, merch and a following that is always wanting more. Not every game in this series is a hit, and none of them stayed with me the way the first one did but you can't deny it's influence on Survival Horror or on video games as a whole.

28 More
~Johnny~

No comments:

Post a Comment